City of Sheridan
Sheridan, WY United States
The City Planner plans, organizes, and directs all activities of the Planning Dept. including long-range and comprehensive planning, development review, permitting, code enforcement, building services and economic development activities. The successful candidate will develop and administer community long-range plans and strategic goals. To view full posting: www.KRW-Associates.com/open-positions
Major job duties include the following:
- Oversees and leads the comprehensive plan process and directs the day-to-day activities of the planning department, including land-use planning, subdivision review and permitting. Presentations to both Planning Commission and City Council. Tracks the status of current projects.
- Conducts long-range planning and land-use analysis; makes policy and code change recommendations; drafts ordinances and resolutions for City Council consideration.
- Administers the City's land use/development code and enforces the provisions of the code, where necessary.
- Organizes and leads the Development Review Committee (DRC), oversees and prepares staff reports for the City Council, Planning Commission and the Board of Adjustment. Organizes Board of Adjustment (BOA) Meetings and Planning Commission Meetings and provides training to new members as needed.
- Coordinates activities between the Planning Department and other community entities, including civic organizations, industry/trade organizations and citizens.
- Meets with community stakeholders and organizations regarding housing, economic development, historic and natural resource preservation and land use. Drafts policy and regulations. Makes public presentations regarding planning and land use issues in the community and coordinates public outreach efforts.
- Coordinates with the County Planner to develop joint management plans and guidelines. Provides support for the City Planning Commission and serves as a liaison to citizens regarding designated planning projects.
- Prepares and administers the budget for the Planning Division.
The Ideal Candidate...
- Possesses a strong planning background and enjoys performing the day-to-day tasks associated with urban planning in a growing, vibrant community.
- Understands the sound principles and practices of economic development, planning and community organization.
- Plans and organizes comprehensive research studies. Prepares and presents technical reports.
- Has experience with local government administration and operations, including budgetary procedures and fiscal management.
- Has strong written and oral communication skills and is proficient in addressing public bodies (e.g., City Council, Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment).
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with co-workers, elected officials, the public, staff and other governmental entities.
- Has the ability to administer a comprehensive work program; interpret codes accurately and effectively; enforce regulations with fairness, tact, and impartiality.
- Is respectful, thinks critically, maintains perspective and manages well in day-to-day interactions with the public.
- Bachelor's degree in planning, public administration, business administration or a closely related field. Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a bachelor's degree may be substituted.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a leadership/management role in community planning, urban/rural planning or similar position.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Proficient with GIS mapping software.
- Ability to obtain a valid State of Wyoming Class C driver's license.
- A master's degree and AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners) certification is preferred, but not required.
To apply: Email a cover letter, resume and contact information for six ( 6) professional references to: apply@KRW-Associates.com
Application Deadline: March 8, 2024 (5:00 PM Mountain)